Career Change Don'ts
- Never come out of any job before you have another one. Don't quit a job on impulse, only when you have a solid plan. Leaving a job too early will have obvious negative effects. You could easily find yourself without a job with no leads in sight.
- A career change cannot be spontaneous but must be the result of a well-planned and well thought out decision. Do not plan to change your career in just minutes.
- Don't change your career just for the sake of big/instant money or glamour; rather, give some real thought as to whether you are really interested in switching to another career. Sure, the new career might seem great at first, but will you still enjoy it after several years?
- Don't have unrealistic expectations from the career that you are going to choose.
- Don't pay attention to rumors or gossip or even react to them during your job change process.
- Don't spread the word about your leaving the job until it is confirmed in writing.
- Don't leave your 'safe' job until you know where and how you will be compensated.
- Don't leave the job for until you have ensured that you will not have to pay your monthly bills from your savings
- Don't ever spread misinformation about your past employer
The Dos of Career Change
- While still in your current job, you can gather information or rather work part-time for the career you have chosen. It will give you some idea of the scope and nature of your target job.
- While still in your present career, learn as much as you can and plan to take that knowledge with you.
- List your strengths and qualities in fields you that you already excel. Identify your need for a career change.
- If it is sheer frustration or stress and all other aspects are fine in your present job, then target these two problems rather going for a career change.
- Maintain a positive relationship with your present organization and leave the job on a positive note.
- As soon as you join your new employer, get down to business without wasting time; you will have lot to learn in a new environment.
Source: http://www.articlecircle.com/ - Free Articles Directory
About the AuthorTony Jacowski is a quality analyst for The MBA Journal. Aveta Solutions Six Sigma Online ( http://www.sixsigmaonline.org ) offers online six sigma training and certification classes for lean six sigma, black belts, green belts, and yellow belts.A career change can be riddled with mistakes and ambiguity for many people, even those in mid-career. This, as a consequence, relegates them to where they are despite additions to their job and personal skill sets and the larger market scenario. This small but indicative list of career changes Dos and Don'ts will help to make things clearer.