5 Tips For Successful Negotiation
It does not matter whether it is a pro or a con. The people will always have something to negotiate for. Negotiation will always come out whenever there is something to bargain for, whether you want to achieve something in your present career, when you want to deal with other people, or simply win out a good buy in a garage sale.Whatever the purpose is, an individual will always try to negotiate into something favorable, otherwise, he will never succeed in this lifetime. Most people say that negotiation is an art. It tends to bring out the individuals remarkable way of winning things on his side. It can be the most amazing thing you can do with your charm and your wits, thats why other people say it can just be all fun. Of course, negotiation is not a game that people can play anytime. When you negotiate, you should mean business all the time. When two or more people, with dissimilar wants and objectives, would like to agree on something that will render resolution to a particular subject, negotiating is the best solution. Since it involves two- way communication procedure, every negotiation is distinct from one another, and affected by each individuals mind- set, abilities, and technique. The problem with most people is that they view negotiation as something that is horrible. Thats because it usually means disputes or tension. In essence, negotiations do not call for unpleasant moods. Learning the right way of negotiating will absolutely lead to a successful finale. To know more about it, here are five tips for successful negotiation -
1. Time it rightThe art of negotiating depends on right timing. It is imperative that you learn to manage the negotiation set up. Always remember that negotiations should never come off where they are not wanted. You should always consider the pros and cons of the possible results before deciding on theissue. Create a list of the most important variables that you have to deliberate such as bonuses, price, delivery times, credit terms, guarantees, training, discounts, or rebate. By contemplating on these things, you will be able to organize and plan the negotiation.
2. Manage yourselfBefore you enter into a negotiation, it is best that you evaluate yourself first. Can you manage your feelings? Keep in mind that when your emotions get in the way, you tend to weaken your ability to direct your negotiating actions in productive modes.
3. Know what you are getting intoWho are you dealing with? What are his traits, attitude, or beliefs? Is he the type that can give you a winwin situation? It is very important that you know where you are getting at before you head for the battle.
4. Be attentive. Learn to listen well!One of the reasons why negotiations become negative is that most people do not practice attentive listening. People are so busy stating their desires that they forget to hear out the other side. Keep in mind that negotiating is an inter- personal procedure; hence, the communication will never work on a one- way traffic. It has two be two- way. Experts say that in order to have a successful negotiation, people should learn to apply the so- called 7030 ruling. This means that people should render 70% of their time in listening and only 30% for talking. In this way, you will be able to understand the other side of the story, giving more rooms for considerations and proper analysis.
5. Be ready to walk awayNever be pressured to win over a negotiation. Keep in mind that it is not always a winwin situation for you. In fact, one of the greatest mistakes people commit thats why they fail to get what they want is that they are too determined to acquire their goals. It is like they have created a now or never scene. Experts recommend that it is still best to always have a choice. Do not assume that when you negotiate, it should always be a point of no return. Be open for alternatives. If you think you can never have it your way, so be it. There is always a next time, and next times are always better. So the next time you plan to negotiate on something, keep these things in mind. In one way or another, you will be able to foresee a positive result if you really know how to play your cards well. It should never be a gamble. Remember, successful negotiations should always be patterned with logical thinking.
About Author: For more great negotiation related articles and resources check out http://negotiationadvisor.info Article Source: http://www.besttoread.com/articles/